Friday, January 20, 2006

Bitter, Sweet Pluto

The launch of the New Horizons probe on route to Pluto and the solar systems outer objects, marks a mix of feelings from me.

Let's start with Sweet.
Back in the mid-nineties this project was about to be cut from NASA's budget. For me, being the space fan that I am, was a bit bummed knowing that if this probe was not launched soon, it would miss its only window in our life time to take close up shots of that neighborhood. The are being the last of our solar system to be looked upon up close. The reason for the window is due to the strange orbit Pluto has around our sun in proximity to Earth. For that reason, I wrote to several of my government representative to urge the project to go through. Knowing it was a lost cause to write to Government officials, I was surprised when I received a letter from the Office of then Congresswomen Debbie Stabenow. The letter basically talked about how her office was behind the project and assured me their resources were put in favor for the project. It also listed some of the obstacles to overcome before such a mission could happen. Stabenow, whom is now a US senator was the first democrat I voted for as she was the only office to return a reply. Yesterday's launch was proof of hope for our government.

Now for the Bitter.
A lot has changed since the care-free nineties. Namely president Bush. The Pluto mission marks one of the last missions outside of the Moon and Mars. Last I heard, a Mercury mission is still in the works. Say good by to adventurous pictures of Titan, or glimpsing what's under Europa's Ice or checking out IOs active volcanoes. The reason: Bush had that announcement to allocate NASA toward moon and Mars missions. And, like the Iraq invasion, failed to give a reason why. My guess is because China wants to get some dudes up on the moon around 2020. And we can't let that happen, now can we. The last missions going outside the Mars/Moon are all pre-Bush. We can look forward to very little science out side of Mars/Moon in the future. Did I mention The Hubble telescope is almost dead, and we have no replacement yet.

Now I'm all for putting people on other planets, but let's at least have a goal before we go and not sacrifice other projects. I often have made the argument how life has changed since 9/11. This is one more example how we as US Americans have given up on dreaming.

No comments: