Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Hit the Deck

After much frustration of taking a belt sander to the deck for the last 2 weeks, it was time to get the right tool, for the right job. While there was a debate over the whole, power washer vs deck sander, I opted for the Deck sander. Course, it turns out, no one has a true "deck sander", only floor sanders.

I opted rent from a local place in Mason, where two different employees said the floor sander was the way to go. And they were right, well... sort of. After completing half my deck (about 20x15ft in 2 hours) the thing conked out. No warning signs, nothing. Dead. I returned the sander to the place, where I was directed to the tech. His reaction was along the lines of "you idiot, floor sanders don't belong on decks" though not his actual words. Reading this in his eyes, I was quick to point out it was his own people that suggested the piece of hardware. I was then directed back to the front desk, where the clerk asked if I wanted the other sander. Der? Fighting the temptation to get the deck done, I pointed out best not and he should talk to the tech. At this point I have no idea if their going to hold me responsible, but they were happy to give me a power washer which I was soon to decline.

Still craving to get things done, I headed over to A-1 rental, where they too suggested a floor sander for the deck. Theirs was different brand, and after clarifying that it was absolutely safe for the device on decks, I proceeded to check out. In the end, the deck is now sanded, minus the rails and steps.

No comments: