Friday, October 06, 2006

The Grail to Fighting Alzheimer's Disease?

Originally on my other blog: TheComputerGamer

After reading several reports, I have come the conclusion that the "Grand Theft Auto" (GTA) video game series is the best medicine to prevent Alzheimer Disease. My analysis:

Puzzle and strategic gaming is good for the mind, known as "Brain Exercise". Exercising the brain, is believed to help prevent/limit Alzheimer, dementia and attention deficit disorder. Grand Theft Auto is classified as a Puzzle/strategic/action game.
Sources:
USA Today
BBC
Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience (sorry no link)
Washington Post

Research from Dr. Sonya S. Brady claims playing GTA causes "permissive attitudes" toward drug use. First of all, let me just say drugs are bad and should be avoided. That said, a recent study claims that Marijuana use can help fend off Alzheimer's Disease. So, it would seem those drugged up gamers are battling forms of dementia.
Sources:
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006;160:341-347
Gamespy
CNN.com

Long term gaming has been attributed toward poor hygiene, which means less bathing and deodorant. Due to the open ended gameplay, each GTA game can easily cover hundreds of hours of gameplay. My point, some deodorants and most antiperspirants contain aluminum, causing aluminum buildup in the bloodstream. Aluminum is known to expediate Alzheimer's Disease. Therefore, the lack of applying aluminum into the blood stream on a daily basis is actually a preventive step toward Brain Decay. So be damned the hygiene, keep gaming.
Sources:
Natural Health Newsletter
http://www.laleva.cc/environment/aluminum_alzheimer2.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How the #&@$ am I supposed to do my part/fullfill my role as the obnoxious conservative counter-point to your blog when you make entries like the last two?!??!?!! Besides... If computer gaming and alzheivers is so... uhmmm... uhmmm... eerrrrr... I forgot what I was going to say... I'm gettting old, ya know... I guess I need to take another bong-hit. Anyone got a light? -CT/NY